S.S. Great Britain
Willow (Year 2/3)
Class Teacher: Miss Oatey
Teaching Assistant: Mrs Mason and Mrs White
During the Spring term we will be exploring a new Geography-focused topic, where we will start with North America's Wild West and then move south to Australia.
For more information on what we're covering in each curriculum area, view our Topic Web here:
As before, I would encourage children to find and bring in any books, information or pictures they can find relating to the topic.
All the elves in Willow class had lots of fun raising money for Dorothy House...
This term we will be P.E on a Thursday. Children should bring their P.E kits in at the start of term and keep them in school on their peg.
Your child will be given a Phonics Book to take home each week. This will have words containing sounds your child is familiar with. Your child will have a daily 30 minute Sounds Write Phonics lesson. Children, in their daily phonics sessions, are taught conceptual knowledge and skills that enable them to say the sounds and read the words. Your child will also take part in whole-class guided reading sessions each week to develop comprehension skills. It is also important that you hear your child read at home at least three times a week and comment in their Reading Records.
Homework is set every Friday and will be due the following Wednesday. This will be a continuation of your child’s English/Maths learning within class. We are no longer setting spellings but your child’s Phonics book contains a list of words containing the different spellings of the sound we have learnt that week. Feel free to practise reading these with your child and learn these at home.
This term, we will explore humour in the Guided Reading book 'Fluff, the Farting Fish' by Michael Rosen:
A few other reminders for this term:
- At the start of the day children now come straight into class for their morning activity. At the end of the day we will be seeing the children out from the Children’s Centre sliding door.
- Children will need to bring in their own water bottle to drink from throughout the day.
- We have Celebration Assembly on Friday afternoon at 2:00pm which is a time to celebrate the learning and achievements of the week.
- The champion learner will get the privilege of taking Monty home for the weekend to look after. Please make sure he is back in school on the Monday so we can give him a full wash and groom!
- Mrs Mason (Class Teaching Assistant) will be teaching Willow Class on a Monday and Thursday afternoon.
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate in speaking to me either before/after school - don’t feel you have to wait for a parent’s evening! Alternatively you can email email@example.com.
Kandinsky inspired Space Collages
This term in Art we are studying the abstract painter ‘Kandinsky’. We have created our own vivid and exciting artwork inspired by Kandinsky’s piece ‘Several Circles’.
We used marbling inks to create some interesting textures for our planets. The children selected their own coloured inks and enjoyed seeing the patterns they created...they were very excited about what outcome they would get!
We then cut and tore these backgrounds to form our collage. We shared tips on how to create those perfectly rounded circles to form our planets. We had lots of fun splattering paint to get our 'starry' background!
We hope you enjoy looking at our finished Kandinsky inspired masterpieces!