Willow (Year 2/3)
Class Teacher: Miss Oatey Teaching Assistant: Mrs Mason
A very warm welcome back, I hope you have all had a summer break. We will be kicking off the new term with our exciting new topic ‘Building Bridges – Isambard Kingdom Brunel’. I have attached a copy of our topic plan so you can see what your child will be learning about in each curriculum area. This will involve learning about Brunel’s life and achievements and your child will be taking on board many construction challenges of their own!
As before, I would encourage children to find and bring in any books, information or pictures they can find relating to the topic.
Our P.E sessions are on Tuesday and Wednesday. Please make sure your child has P.E kit in school (t-shirt, shorts/tracksuit bottoms and daps/trainers). P.E kit should be labelled clearly with your child’s name, as should all school uniform and book bags. Could you also ensure book bags are checked regularly for letters etc.
Your child will be given a Phonics Book to take home each week. This will have words containing sounds your child is familiar with. Your child will have a daily 30 minute Sounds Write Phonics lesson. Children, in their daily phonics sessions, are taught conceptual knowledge and skills that enable them to say the sounds and read the words. Your child will also take part in whole-class guided reading sessions each week to develop comprehension skills. It is also important that you hear your child read at home at least three times a week and comment in their Reading Records.
Homework is set every Friday and will be due the following Wednesday. This will be a continuation of your child’s English/Maths learning within class. We are no longer setting spellings but your child’s Phonics book contains a list of words containing the different spellings of the sound we have learnt that week. Feel free to practise reading these with your child and learn these at home.
This term's Guided Reading book is 'The Dragonsitter' by Josh Lacey:
A few other reminders for this term:
- At the start of the day children now come straight into class for their morning activity. At the end of the day we will be seeing the children out from the Children’s Centre sliding door.
- Children will need to bring in their own water bottle to drink from throughout the day.
- Snack will be supplied at a cost of 50p per week. Payment is to be made via the school online payment system. Alternatively, you may choose to supply a healthy snack, such as fruit, for your child. Please also remember that nuts are not allowed in school due to allergies
- We have Celebration Assembly on Friday afternoon at 2:40pm which is a time to celebrate the learning and achievements of the week.
- The champion learner will get the privilege of taking Monty home for the weekend to look after. Please make sure he is back in school on the Monday so we can give him a full wash and groom!
- Mrs Mason (Class Teaching Assistant) will be teaching Willow Class on a Monday and Thursday afternoon.
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate in speaking to me either before/after school - don’t feel you have to wait for a parent’s evening! Alternatively you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kandinsky inspired Space Collages
This term in Art we are studying the abstract painter ‘Kandinsky’. We have created our own vivid and exciting artwork inspired by Kandinsky’s piece ‘Several Circles’.
We used marbling inks to create some interesting textures for our planets. The children selected their own coloured inks and enjoyed seeing the patterns they created...they were very excited about what outcome they would get!
We then cut and tore these backgrounds to form our collage. We shared tips on how to create those perfectly rounded circles to form our planets. We had lots of fun splattering paint to get our 'starry' background!
We hope you enjoy looking at our finished Kandinsky inspired masterpieces!