Willow (Year 2/3)
Class Teacher: Miss Oatey Teaching Assistant: Miss Udell
Welcome to Willow Class,
A very warm welcome back, I hope you have all had a lovely Summer Break. We have a very exciting year ahead of us in Willow Class! We will be kicking off with our new topic ‘To Infinity and Beyond!’. Below is a copy of our topic plan and curriculum drivers so you can see what your child will be learning about in each curriculum area. Our topic this term will include discovering the awe and wonder of our Solar System and learning about the first moon landing. The children will be taking on many creative and scientific challenges over the coming weeks.
As before, I would encourage children to find and bring in any books, information or artefacts they can find relating to the topic. Please make sure these are labelled so we can get these back to you.
Kandinsky inspired Space Collages
This term in Art we are studying the abstract painter ‘Kandinsky’. We have created our own vivid and exciting artwork inspired by Kandinsky’s piece ‘Several Circles’.
We used marbling inks to create some interesting textures for our planets. The children selected their own coloured inks and enjoyed seeing the patterns they created...they were very excited about what outcome they would get!
We then cut and tore these backgrounds to form our collage. We shared tips on how to create those perfectly rounded circles to form our planets. We had lots of fun splattering paint to get our 'starry' background!
We hope you enjoy looking at our finished Kandinsky inspired masterpieces!
Guided Reading TextThis term our Whole-Class Guided Reading text is 'The Smeds and The Smoos' by Julia Donaldson.
Homework and Spellings
Homework is set every Friday and will be due the following Wednesday. This will be a continuation of your child’s English/Maths learning. Please support your child with their homework and put it in the purple box when completed. Homework will commence next week. Please also ensure book bags are checked regularly for letters etc.This term we are reading 'The Smeds and The Smoos' by Julia Donaldson
New spellings will also be set on Fridays. Children will have one week to try and learn the spellings, which will be linked to our week’s phonics lessons. Please help your child to learn these spellings throughout the week.
Please note due to Reading and Phonic assessments, spelling books will be given out on Friday 17th September and our first spelling test will be Friday 24th September.
Your child will be choosing their reading books this week. Children read weekly in school on a one-to-one basis as well as whole-class guided reading sessions. It is also important that you hear your child read at least three times a week and comment in their Reading Records. We will be carrying out Reading assessments within the first couple of weeks so we can identify the appropriate reading level for your child.
Our P.E sessions are being held on Tuesday. This term we will be developing our Gymnastics skills. Please make sure your child has their P.E kit in school on these days (t-shirt, shorts/tracksuit bottoms and daps/trainers). P.E kit should be labelled clearly with your child’s name, as should all school uniform and book bags. Could you also ensure book bags are checked regularly for letters etc.Please also check out our class page on our school website for further updates and photos of some of the things we have been doing in class.
A few reminders for the year ahead:
- At the start of the day children will line up on the playground and will be taken into the classroom by a class adult. At the end of the day we will be seeing the children out from the Children’s Centre sliding door. We ask you to kindly follow the one way system around the school to collect your child.
- Children will need to bring in their own water bottle to drink from throughout the day.
- As the weather begins to change, please make sure your child brings in a waterproof coat each day.
- Snack will be supplied at a cost of 50p per week. Payment is to be made via the school online payment system. Alternatively, you may choose to supply a healthy snack, such as fruit, for your child. Please also remember that nuts are not allowed in school due to allergies
- We have Celebration Assembly on Friday afternoon at 2:20pm which is a time to celebrate the learning and achievements of the week. Celebration time is held after this before the end of the day on Friday.
- The champion learner will get the privilege of taking Monty home for the weekend to look after. Please make sure he is back in school on the Monday so we can give him a full wash and groom!
- Mrs Stevens (Oak Class TA) will be teaching Willow Class on a Thursday morning.
If you have any further questions about the year ahead please do not hesitate in speaking to me either before/after school. or alternatively emailing email@example.com.
I really look forward to teaching your child this year as we start to gradually return to normal!
Temporary School Closure 17/9/2021 - Home Learning
Good morning Willow/Hazel and Chestnut Classes,
Here are some activities to keep you busy today if you are unable to return to school.
In our Science learning this term we are investigating materials and their properties. Go on a material hunt around your home and see how many different materials you can find.
Can you find things made from metal, glass, wood, plastic?
Draw and label the objects that you find and sort them according to their properties.
Log on to Reading Eggs for reading and phonics activities.
Can you find out about the history of space travel? Please look at the knowledge organizer for facts about space.
Willow and Hazel Classes
Can you think of some more questions to ask Buzz?
What would you like to ask Baby Bear about his space adventure?
Have a fantastic weekend and we will look forward to seeing you again on Monday!