Welcome to Hawthorn and Maple Class!
Hawthorn and Maple Class have both Reception and Year 1 children. Our curriculum is child centred, learning through play and exploration.
We work as one team, where the children can learn and play together, having free-flow both inside and outside.
Class teacher: Miss R Maggs
Teaching assistants: Mrs M Lawson and Miss C Porter
Class Teacher: Miss E Campbell and Mrs N Barnett
Teaching assistant: Miss L Mason
Our Termly Reads
Each term we will focus on six books, building up our knowledge and understanding about each one. Our books for Summer 1 are:
Learning at home
Reading is a skill which is so valuable in life and we would like the children to develop a love of reading. In school we will read with each child at least once a week, building on their pre-reading skills and assessing their phonic skills. We ask that your child shares their school reading book at home with an adult at least twice a week, with each session recorded in their reading record. We aim to change your child's book every Friday.
Homework is set for Year 1 children in Autumn Term 2. This will be set on a Friday and to be handed in the following Wednesday.
Please make sure that your child has their P.E kit in school, with all items named. Your child should have a plain t-shirt, shorts and daps/trainers. As the weather turns colder, you may wish to provide trousers and a long sleeved top as well.
Hawthorn - Tuesday Gymnastics
Maple - Thursday Multisports
The classes will swap activities for term 6.
Your child can bring in a healthy packed lunch or order a school lunch. Lunch can be ordered in advance (by midnight the day before) using the ScoPay app.
For Reception children we follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) framework, which is based on learning through play. We also do daily phonics and maths sessions. For Year 1 children we follow the National Curriculum, using a play based environment.
A few reminders for the year ahead:
- At the start of the day, once the whistle has blown, the double doors will open and the children will be able to come and hang their things on their peg. At the end of the day Maple will leave out of their classroom door and Hawthorn through the double doors. We ask you to kindly follow the one way system around the school to collect your child.
- Children will need to bring in their own water bottle to drink from throughout the day.
- As the weather begins to change, please make sure your child brings in a waterproof coat each day.
- Snack will be supplied at a cost of 50p per week. Payment is to be made via the school online payment system. Alternatively, you may choose to supply a healthy snack, such as fruit, for your child. Please also remember that nuts are not allowed in school due to allergies.
- Miss Mason will be teaching in Hawthorn and Mrs Lawson will be teaching in Maple on a Wednesday morning.
- Could you also ensure book bags are checked regularly for letters etc. Please also check out our class page on our school website for further updates and photos of some of the things we have been doing in class.
If you have any further questions about the year ahead please do not hesitate in speaking to me either before/after school. or alternatively emailing email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
We really look forward to teaching your child this year as we start to gradually return to normal!